Intervalon 2D-Interval Explorer
Intervalon is a musical instrument software that works on a Windows PC/tablet, with touch interface support (Win32 desktop application).
It can be played by touch (best if you have a touch screen monitor or a tablet) / PC-keyboard keys (mappings flexible) / a mouse.
I have put many amazements into it, hopefully to be found and appreciated by you.
And It is subtitled 2D-Interval Explorer. What? 2D Interval?
The idea of 2D Interval
- It has long been around, for centuries, underlining many musical ideas.
- if you pick out Second and Minor Third as the two basic intervals, among other ones, then an Octave is (3, 2), three seconds and two min. thirds.
- Meantone, granted not restricted to 12 (or any number) keys per octave, can be considered to be an embodiment of it.
- Harmonic-Series tones can be assigned 2D intervals relative to the base tone, possibly with fractional elements.
Intervalon is designed to be very true to it.
- Tunings are defined 2D-interval wise.
- The board note-keys will represent 2D-intervals thus tuned.
Note-key points are plotted so as to be mapped linearly to the set ( 2D-Interval, Cents (pitch height) ). That is,
Note-key points of C, D, and E are plotted on a straight line only if D is tuned at the just mean point of C and E (hence Meantone).
Buttons are drawn as Voronoi cells.
- The resulting board layout is very simple and flexible, natural to play.
- Play in many species of meantones, and in temperaments such as Werckmeister and Vallotti, and in other tunings, along with Harmonic-Series tones if you like.
- Do not play under a large sound volume, which may damage your hearing/health.
- If sounds (including inaudible overtone portions) are unpleasant, stop playing immediately.
For further info see the text file included in the folder.
- Download the linked zip file (Intervalon20161027.zip, 7.5MB) containing the latest Intervalon folder.
- Check for viruses, unblock (right-click -> Properties), and unzip.
- You can put the unzipped IntervalonYYYYMMDD folder anywhere you have write-permission (for .ini file to be updated. Windows Registry is not used).
No administrative privileges are required.
- A small soundfont of my compilation/modification is included for easily getting started.
- Open Intervalon.exe. The board window appears.
- Now you can play (just press note-key buttons), and change settings.
Messages are displayed at the bottom of the window.
- Adjust window size by the Windows standard operations.
- Press 'Opt. board' (board options) button at the top-left corner of the window.
If the window is not vertically large enough to show all options, you can kind of scroll by pressing the twin buttons at the right of 'Opt. board' button.
Double-arrow buttons go forward/backward with larger steps.
You can hide/unhide options by 'Hide' button at the top-right corner.
- First, adjust scaling by the buttons on the scaling line.
- Board layout allows typical (linear) transformations.
You can easily cover six octaves range or more. even with a small-size monitor (the case with tablets), by changing xy-ratio.
- Save the settings into .ini. file by pressing 'save board options...' button.
- Press 'Opt. sound' (sound options) button.
- Here you can change tunings, soundfont/midiout-device, instruments, and so on.
Tunings (straight/undulated, that is, regular/irregular) are defined in .ini file (editable by hand).
You can optionally choose audio via WASAPI, Windows audio facility for high quality and low latency.
(Use WASAPI with only trusted soundfonts. Only exclusive mode is supported at present.)
- Save the settings into .ini. file by pressing 'save sound options...' button.
- To play Harmonic Series Tones, press the button 'Harmonic Series Tones' or 'PAD' in board options.
- Specify the base (first) tone by mounting a Harmonic-Series tone note-key on any board note-key, by 'Drag'.
- In mouse/keyboard-key playing, you can use keyboard-key assignments for them.
Switch key-assignment-set by keyboard-key shortcut Shift + Z and Shift + X.
License of this software
Copyright © 2015 Kazuhiko Shirai.
Intervalon is freeware. It can be used anyway.
Redistribution is prohibited.
The software is provided as is without warranty of any kind.
Use it at your own risk. The author is not responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the use or misuse of it.
Meantone the author uses most often:
It is just in between of Pythagorean Tuning (with pure 5th) and 2/7 Meantone which is in turn just in between of 1/4 Meantone (with pure Maj.3rd) and 1/3 Meantone (with pure Min.3rd).
7/48 = ( (1/3 + 1/4) / 2 ) / 2 (This makes 5th 698.81867 cents, fairly near to 1/7 (=7/49) comma meantone.)
It has 5th/4th and 3rds/6ths equally less pure, supposedly making intervals 2D-ness most protected. It is so sweet.
(N.B. here, Meantone is not a means to approximate Just-Intonation singing/playing.)
From the viewpoint, 12-tone equal temperament (as a kind of Meantone) has 5th too pure, and tends to single-dimensioned-ness too much.
the author's most favorite composers:
Palestrina, Alessandro Scarlatti, Handel,
Beethoven, Muzio Clementi,
Brahms, Mahler, Manuel de Falla, Furtwängler
by Kazuhiko Shirai. mail: email@example.com
last updated 2016/10/27.